The step forward

I went to hang out with a good friend of mine today. Everytime we hang out, its usually at a coffee shop or a hooka joint. He's the kind of friend that you can talk to about anything. Deep conversations that barrel down to the core of the subject. The difference between then to now was the conversation we had. It was like any other conversation, except for his attitude. He seemed more determined, telling me about his accomplishments despite all the troubles in his life right now. Instead of hating the world, he flipped it to his advantage. Maybe something happened, an epiphany perhaps, I don't know. Whatever it was, it was inspiring and I loved every minute of it. It fills me with joy to know how much has changed since the day I met him. The holiday spirit? A change for the new year? Permanent or temporary, it doesn't matter. What matters most is today.
The step forward, not backward.